Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Snaking Around

Mood-O-Meter : Bum-ish
On The Jukebox : Staring At The Sun - U2
Blog Snack : Starbucks' Rhumba (Venti sized!)

Ahoy maties! As promised, more frequent postings, before I start losing my fanbase (che wah, perasan-nye mamat nie). Well, today's a chill day away from work. Was sent for Defensive Driving course by BP (they are real sticklers to safety) at our HQ in Menara Maxis. What was suppose to be a half day engagement turned out to be only half day! Come lunchtime, I was set loose to roam free in the concrete jungle of KL city. While waiting for my limo to pick me up at 5.30pm (company hired for me, does not trust my driving without this bloody course, hahaha!), I'm chillin' @ Starbucks KLCC sipping on my Rhumba. The 'ethical' thing to do will be to get my ass back at Maxis to start working. But since I have set the factory running on Auto-mode for a day, decided to snake around instead. Lol. Turned on my company e-mail just in case though.

The course was OK, learned stuff that I have never realized before. It is little things that we take for granted everyday while driving that may prove to be dangerous driving behavior. Braking at a corner, crossing over your left hand to the right (and vice versa) while steering, hand constantly on the gear knob, doing the 'balancing act' when stopping at slopes (babez, hope you are reading this... hint hint.. hahahaha), are the things that every other driver will do. Little did I know that these are considered 'unsafe driving'. Shrugs.

News Flash: Malaysian Government just announced next year's Budget. As expected, booze and cigarrete taxes will increase by 9% and 13% respectively. Good intentions from the government to curb unhealthy habits of drinking and smoking. But seriously hommes, do you SERIOUSLY think that the average consumer will actually be discourage to drink or smoke from this move? Price of a pack of cigarretes will increase by about 50 sen. 50 SEN??? Gimme a break! Grab a tincup and beg in the streets, you can get more than that. Well, on the other side of the coin, I guess imposing heavier duties will discourage investors from the tobacco and liquer industry (i.e. BAT, Guiness-anchor) to further invest in Malaysia. My take of it is, smokers will continue to puff, drinkers will continue to chug away, regardless of how much tax is imposed. To my friends no worries, I am totally cool with y'all smoking when we hang out and lepak. :) Just don't burn my ass with the butt (pun intended).

2 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

The tax hike for cigs definitely hasn't affected the habits of smokers I know! Btw, BP sounds like quite the place to work. Lemme know if they're hiring writers or psychologists ;)

12:09 AM  
Blogger Terence said...

so far no such positions available... but will certainly put an ear out la... most likely will be in the public relations line though... thinking of a career change, Chris?

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home